HOW TO GAIN YOUR LAA BRONZE WINGS
• Check out the requirements below, then download and complete the application form .
• Entries, based on your log book or other documentation, should then be verified by an LAA Coach, LAA Strut Co‐ordinator or Chief Flying Instructor.
• Mail you form and any supporting documentation to LAA HQ.
• Your LAA BRONZE WINGS brooch can either be awarded to you at your next LAA Strut local meeting, or if you prefer, will be sent to you by post.
• WEAR YOUR LAA WINGS WITH PRIDE!
The LAA Wings Award Scheme is available to all licence holders, whether you are an LAA member or not. There are four main criteria for all levels of LAA WINGS: Flying Experience, Training and Achievement, Training Event Attendance and the completion of an Extended Navigational Challenge.
For the LAA Wings BRONZE award, a total flight time and pilot-in-command time of
100 hours TOTAL, 50 hours PIC, are required in in the following classes of aircraft:
* Single Engine Piston (SEP);
* Single Engine Turboprop (SET);
* Simple Single Engine Aeroplanes (SSEA);
* Multi-Engine Piston (MEP);
* Touring Motor Glider (TMG);
* Self Launching Motor Glider (SLMG);
TRAINING AND ACHIEVEMENT
Just flying more hours doesn’t necessarily mean you have a greater depth of knowledge or breadth of experience. So the LAA Award scheme recognises additional training or achievements leading to the addition of ratings or certificates. As your flying hours and achievements build, you can progress from BRONZE, to SILVER to GOLD.
For the LAA Wings BRONZE award, ONE LAA ACHIEVEMENT IS REQUIRED. This list is not exhaustive but gives examples for you to select achievements that suit your style of flying.
* Night Rating
* Instrument Rating (Restricted)
* Mountain Rating
* Aerobatics Rating
* Radio Navigation certificate
* Ground Instructor certificate
* Tailwheel Differences Training
* LAA Strip Flying Diploma
* LAA Cross-channel checkout
* LAA Proficient Pilot Diploma (coming soon!)
* Complete a LAA World Record (coming soon!)
* Complete a Royal Aero Club handicapped Air Race
TRAINING AND SAFETY EVENT ATTENDANCE
Attendance at Safety Seminars and associated training courses help develop pilot knowledge and understanding which are essential in the continued development towards greater situational awareness. Verified attendance at ONE SAFETY or TRAINING EVENT is required for your LAA BRONZE WINGS
A list of acceptable safety events are on the Eligible Activities page, and include:
* LAA Seminar
* LAA Engineering Courses
* GASCo safety evening
* Military civil air safety days
* Other Aircraft maintenance engineering course
* Flight instructor seminars
* PPL master classes
EXTENDED NAVIGATIONAL CHALLENGE
Sadly too many pilots never venture out of their local area, which is both limiting in terms of enjoyment and fulfilment, but also stifles development and confidence. The LAA Wings scheme therefore includes a requirement for applicants to complete longer navigational flights, which challenge your knowledge and skill.
For the LAA BRONZE AWARD, pilots must therefore have evidence of completing a flight distance of greater than 200nm with at least two intermediate take-offs and landings.
DO YOU QUALIFY? APPLY FOR YOUR LAA BRONZE WINGS NOW!
CAN YOU FLY HIGHER?
More information about each level of the LAA Wings scheme here: